Monday, April 30, 2007

"You have one week left to live..."

No, this line wasn't told to me by my kidney doctor. (God forbid!) This was just a thought that entered my mind as I have a week left before I officially become a member of the working class.

I finally accepted the offer of one of the law firms within my area last Friday. We finalized the terms of my employment and I start work as a Junior Associate on May 7, Monday. For a starting lawyer, the pay is actually quite good; and it seems like the legal training I shall receive from the firm would be excellent. The partners of the firm all seemed pleasant and reasonable. In addition, they had this certain "lawyerly" aura within them - they looked confident but not arrogant. And they had presence - I felt they were the type whom everyone would listen to when they spoke. I, of course, would want to acquire this unique aura from them.

I'm very much excited because after 25 years of existence, I would finally be able to work and earn my own keep. At the same time, I am extremely nervous and scared at the thought of it. I've never really done much legal work in the past that I can't gauge if I'll be good at it or not. What if being a lawyer isn't natural for me? What if I don't meet the expectations of my bosses? Simply put, what if I suck at work and be put to shame?

One thing's for sure: I'd definitely give it my best. I just hope it would be enough. As of now, I'm just thinking of all the personal matters that I need to attend to before I get really busy with work. And I have one week left to do all of these. I have one week left to live.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you have one week to live! ano bang title yan! my heart stopped for a second when i saw that.

yun pala, iba ung ibig mong sabihin.

hehehe.

hugs!

kidneys gone bad said...

hehe, sorry for that heart-stopping moment. it's just that i still want to do so many things (e.g. finish grey's, prisonbreak, heroes, etc.) and i feel i have so little time left to do them. :)