Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Today's High

I was in court this morning for a direct examination I was to conduct on a witness when suddenly one of the partners of the firm called me up through my mobile phone. Apparently, he also had a hearing with the same schedule as mine and he won’t be able to make it coz he was sick. Thus, he asked me to appear for him before the court and ask for a last postponement.

Now, this would normally be an easy task. However, this is one of the cases that has dragged on for years already and was initiated way back in the 90’s. Still, it was an order which I had to follow.

When the case was called, I entered my appearance and respectfully prayed for a last postponement for the hearing of the case. Naturally, the opposing counsel vehemently objected. I pleaded, of course, that my boss’ absence was not done with malice or for delay. And I tried to charm my way.

The lady judge eventually agreed to postpone and reset the case to another date. Success! I was happy enough as it is.

Then she commented, “Off the record, huli na yan ha. Ang gwapo gwapo mong abogado, sayang hindi kita makikita na mag-cross examine ng witness.”

Though I knew it was said in jest, it put a smile on my face.

And I retorted, “Your Honor, later. You’ll see me …”

The judge abruptly interrupted me saying “Sige na, next time na lang” and continued with the final order of the hearing, but I was supposed to finish my sentence with “…in action.”


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wahahahaha!

that's a good story.

Anonymous said...

omg!!!!!!!! hahahaha!

mon said...

iba ka na jaaaayps!