Wednesday, July 26, 2006

The Blessing Called Sickness Part 2

My doctor, who was kind and understanding enough of my situation, gave me two options. First, I could undergo my kidney transplant as soon as possible, forego first the bar this year and recuperate just in time to take the bar the following year. And second, I could exert extra effort and pursue the bar examinations this year but in the meantime, I will be under close monitor of my health and I would undergo dialysis treatment should the need arise.

I prayed real hard about my options. I consulted my family and friends. As expected, I got conflicting opinions from them. On one side, some maintained the cliché of “Health is wealth” argument coupled with the fact that the bar examinations will always be there for me. On the other side, some encouraged me to try my best to take the exam this year while all my legal knowledge was still fresh on my mind.

I was really confused. And deeply troubled. Part of my depression was not knowing what to do. I knew it would all end up with me making a decision for myself. To make matters worse, my parents as of that time, were abroad so I couldn’t exactly make a decision until I finally had the chance to consult with them.

My parents got back from abroad just in time for my graduation from law school. Thus, when they arrived, there wasn’t much time for serious talking. I guess they wanted me to celebrate first before confronting the situation. But as soon as the festivities ended, we were back to reality. I found myself consulting the doctor again, this time accompanied by my mom.

After my visit to the doctor, my mom and I talked over lunch. But it wasn’t the conversation I expected. No serious remarks, no witty advices, no nothing – just pure simple love and affection which I needed the most. My mom just asked me what I really wanted and things just sort of fell into place. I was ready to face the bar.

I remember my mom asking me if I was depressed about the whole situation. I wanted to say “Duh” but the managed to say “No” instead. Looking back, I guess I did say the correct answer. I still have my days of questioning the reason for all of this. But then I realized all the blessings of sickness: the love and support of my family and friends, the power of prayer, a healthier relationship with God and a whole new outlook in life.

No comments: