Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Of typhoons, babies, fight club and school spirit

Let it be put on record that September 28, 2006 is the day super typhoon ‘Milenyo’ struck Metro Manila and nearby provinces thus wreaking havoc to the said areas. Now everything has been said and written about the calamity: the day-long brownouts (or is it black outs?), the cut-off water supply (which is more important: electricity or water?), the destructive billboards (Bayani Fernando’s now singing “Told you so!”), all the uprooted and cut trees that blocked the roads (our pili and caimito trees included) and all the people who became either stranded (in road traffic or otherwise) or homeless. I guess I don’t want to reiterate those things any longer (Oh, but I just did!). I just wanted to immortalize the day Milenyo fell upon our country because PAG-ASA said that a typhoon this strong hasn’t hit the Metro in the last eleven years. Here’s a fave quote I heard while I was listening to the news: “Calamities can bring out the best and the worst out of people.” Indeed, indeed.

***

Because of the brownout, my brother, my sister-in-law and my barely 2-month old niece went to our house to stay here for a while. I was evicted from the room I was staying at but it was nonetheless a pleasant experience as I found myself enjoying the company of my baby niece (my soon-to-be inaanak!). I was never fond of babies. Perhaps it’s because I’m the youngest in the family. I’M supposed to be the baby. But having my niece around and actually taking care of her (I held a baby for the first time!) makes me feel more responsible and mature. And besides, she’s just so damn adorable! Thus, let it be put on record that I am officially no longer the baby of the family. I have relinquished my throne and have gladly passed it on to my niece.

***

Last Saturday was also the first time I went out with my friends since the bar ended. It was such a big sigh of relief since I either just stayed at home to rest or go to the hospital for check-up or treatment since the final Sunday of the bar. And yes, let it be put on record (as I have already mentioned before) that Fight Club really rocks! And last Saturday, we even had recruits. He he! It’s nice to know that you have loyal friends who will be there for you no matter what. I know that it’ll be quite a while till we have our next ‘meeting’ but for now, the last one will get me through…

***

And finally, let it be put on record that WIN OR LOSE, ATENEO IS THE SCHOOL I CHOOSE. It was definitely a heart-breaking event watching the Ateneo Seniors Basketball team lose against UST in the Finals today. Ateneo definitely plays with a lot of passion and a big heart. The team was having such a brilliant game but somehow, the UST Tigers snatched the championship from them.
I was once part of a varsity team for Ateneo and I definitely still have the school spirit until now. It was a sad defeat but Ateneo still won the hearts of many when it fought until it could and stood tall when it fell short in the end.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi jayps! i'm missing you so much. hope you're doing well.

yay, we've braved the storm! hehe, you were there when i was beside myself with jubilation over the return of the electricity at my boarding house.

you're no longer the baby of your family!!! you relinquish your throne... really? (i say this with the deep, questioning tone you use with mon when you're kidding with her) hahaha.

yep, fight club rules. that night, we had two izzy's and 2 meredith's, and one each of cristina and george. hehehe.

hugs!

V. said...

pssst! hey jayps :) im gonna link you up ha :)

kidneys gone bad said...

hey rose! i miss you too! yup, i'm doing well so far. I hope you're doing well too.
How come it's not easy to comprehend that i've already relinquished my throne?!? Hahaha! I promise I have! My niece just brings so much joy to me and my family that she deserves the throne and the title. :) And i've matured ever since, even by just a tiny bit!

kidneys gone bad said...

hey vannie! ikaw pala yan! how's work? :) sure, you can link me up!