Sunday, March 18, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mom!

It's my mom's birthday today and she's officially a senior citizen. The whole family spent the day at Tagaytay where we heard mass, ate buffet lunch and played our family sport - bowling. It was a fun and tiring day and I could babble on everything that transpired but I'd like to dedicate this entry to, of course, the celebrant, my mom.

It's just amazing how a woman like her can attend to so many things at the same time. And these 'things' she attends to are not even her own; it's for the benefit of the entire family. I remember one time, she was busy attending to all the preparations for my transplant and at the same time she was helping out my ate move in to their new place. Furthermore, she was busy planning my niece's baptism and of course, making sure that all the chores at home are accomplished.

I am most grateful to my mom for being there for me through all my health issues. I wrote an essay about her for my Literature class when I was in my senior year in college. It actually sums up what I really want my mom to know on her birthday. Here are some parts of it:

"My whole perspective of our relationship changed when i was diagnosed to have (a kidney disease). This entailed regular medical tests and check-ups and visits to different doctors. I did not show much fear during these times; I was just not the type. But somehow, my mom sensed those fears of mine and I felt her motherly affection through constant guidance and prayers which greatly affected my life.

"My mom would accompany me on my monthly visits to my doctor. Because of my busy schedule at school, she would call and set my appointments and tests with different hospitals. She would personally pick me up at school and drive me back whenever I had medical tests. She'd even remind me to take my medicines and regularly check my blood pressure. All this she did without asking for anything in return.

"I consider my mom as the greatest hero in my life. She is my perfect example of self-donation and sacrifice. Hers is what i call authentic love which need not be said because it is already visible and felt by the one she gives it to."

Happy Birthday, Mom!

No comments: