Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Life is Good: The Corp Guy

The main reason why I’ve been having so much workload is because I’ve officially been declared as the “corp guy” of our law firm. It has been pronounced by my fellow associates and the partners of our firm, even by my big boss (also known as the “corp partner”) who has openly declared that I will be under his wing for my training in handling corporation and taxation law cases. And I’m actually loathing every minute of it!

Don’t get me wrong, ok? I am willing and competent (enough, I think,) to take on the challenge. But the thing is, the set up I’m in right now with the firm kinda makes it difficult for me to be the new corp guy. You see, I’m the only corp associate. (One went on study leave and the other one resigned, both just a few months ago) There’s no one else handling the big corporate accounts. Whereas in other departments, there would be a senior associate who would be able to guide the junior associate, in my case, I have no one to go to except for my big boss-corp partner! And it’s not as if I have so much knowledge already on the workings of corporate cases. In fact, I still have so much to learn. I can’t easily approach my big boss for questions without researching on my own first, and this makes me rather slow in accomplishing my work tasks.

I should actually be happy I’ve been given this opportunity. It’s fast-tracking my training in the firm. I just hope I get to finish my training already before I get too burned out from all the work I’m being given.

No comments: