Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The Blessing Called Sickness (Part 1)

Despite my knowledge of my serious kidney disease for the past five years, it still came in as a shock for me when my doctor informed me that I needed my kidney transplant soon. It was as if the world just suddenly froze for a minute and I thought to myself that this wasn’t happening. Not to me. Not now. At least not yet…

It was last April on a hot summer afternoon. I was with my older sister who was a doctor. And the sad part was, I was fresh out of law school. After four grueling years, I thought I was free from all my problems and issues in life. I would finally have all the time for myself even just for a while. And then the news came in.

Perhaps during the five years I knew of my sickness, I was in the state of denial. I went on with my life. I went to law school, I played sports here and there, I continued with all the late nights of beer and fun. Or perhaps I was just putting it off to another time. Something like crossing the bridge when I get there. If there was no pain, there was no sickness. And there was indeed no pain.

At any rate, I was shocked. Stunned. Scared out of my wits. But more than anything else, I was saddened and depressed. I was to take the bar in a few months’ time and I didn’t need any bad news.

No comments: